Why Build with Light Gauge Steel
Better for the Environment
An average-sized wood framed home requires at least 40 trees to be cut for framing. The framing for a typical light gauge steel framed home can be made from just a handful of recycled cars. The use of steel framing saves our nation’s forests and has a positive impact on the environment.
Because light gauge steel-framing is unaffected by temperature or humidity changes, a steel-framed structure is more energy-efficient, thus saving on fuel costs. The lower energy consumption helps to further conserve our natural resources.
Peace of Mind: 50-Year Durability Statement
Our light gauge steel frames are made with steel from Axxis® steel that has been developed and tested by New Zealand Steel, for New Zealand conditions. Galvanised with a 100% zinc coating for protection, it is backed by a 50-year Durability Statement, so you can trust that Axxis® steel will stand the test of time.
Better Structural Strength
As steel has the highest strength to weight ratio of any building material available, it is by nature a superior construction material.
Light gauge steel is lighter, stronger and straighter resulting in dynamic designing and labour cost savings.
A steel-framed home will always have straight walls and square corners. Over time there will be no aggravating nail pop-ups or drywall cracks. Steel framing can take popular finishes like brick, stucco and stone among others.
Better Fire Protection
The most frightening aspect of a house fire is the speed with which it can spread, a factor that’s multiplied many times over with wood framing as fuel.
Steel will not contribute to a fire as fuel. If a fire does start in a steel-framed home, it’s less likely to spread from the area of origin. Using steel can limit tragic loss from fire.
Better Mould Resistance
Mould is a significant cause of poor indoor air quality which can result in respiratory ailments for many Kiwi’s. Steel framing can help resist the onset and growth of mould.
Mould requires an organic substrate such as wood to grow and thrive. Being inorganic, steel framing actually inhibits the growth of mold and promotes a healthier, more comfortable living environment.
Benefits for Building with Light Gauge Steel
Our commercial grade galvanized structural steel has some major benefits.
Firstly the price: Steel is competitive against timber stick frame and with a shorter build time, there is less labour to pay for.
Peace of mind: There is a 50 Year Warranty on all steel framing. It will not rot, warp or expand, so the house stays watertight. And because it won’t rot, it’s also healthier to live in. Steel is resistant to fire, as well as borer and termites. A solid investment!
Its greener: Our commercial grade galvanized structural steel is sustainable and a great environmental choice. There is also no waste. Every piece is cut to precise length, punched, pre-drilled, labelled and often assembled before it leaves the factory.
Light gauge steel is 100% recyclable. Our commercial grade galvanized structural steel is ‘green’ being the most recycled product in the world!
- The slender profile of steel, its strength and light-weight makes it an ideal option and no cranes are required to assemble the framework, which saves time and money
- What would you prefer to do, chop down 40 to 50 trees or recycle six to seven cars? That`s what it takes to prefabricate a steel frame for the average house
- Many appreciate the simplicity of the screw-together framing, especially as there is no need for special tools
- Our commercial grade galvanized structural steel is ideal for environmentally sensitive sites as there is minimum disruption and disturbance to the native vegetation. It is particularly suited to sloping sites where access is difficult.
In summary, the benefits of a light gauge steel frame are:
- Steel is lighter, stronger and straighter
- Steel is not treated with dangerous and often toxic chemicals
- Steel’s quality is consistent. No bowing, bending, warping, twisting or movement
- Steel is not affected by rain and no drying required prior to construction
- Steel is not subject to rot or rust
- Steel is non-combustible therefore a lower fire risk
- Steel is environmentally friendly and the most recycled material in the world
- Steel use does not lead to health issues. (i.e. resulting from sawing/handling chemically treated timber)
- Steel framing is a lot lighter than timber, therefore less weight results in less foundation movement.
Light gauge steel is strong and light…
- The wall frames and roof trusses can be positioned and screwed together in even the most remote locations without needing access to the power grid
- Our commercial grade galvanized structural steel allows you to build safely and competitively on sloping sites even on the most difficult terrain. We can supply you with a floor system to sit on top of adjustable stumps which makes assembly very easy and you can trailer in most components
- Light gauge steel frames can be used in all climate conditions
- Steel beam depths are around half that of timber beams offering greater usable space and lower costs than that of other materials
- Our commercial grade galvanized structural steel’s superior strength and flexibility provides increased spanning capabilities meaning fewer columns/stud support requirements and therefore more usable space
- You can get open-plan living at a competitive price, as steel is 40% stronger than wood and approximately 10% of the weight
- Hi-tensile light gauge steel has the highest strength-to-weight ratio of most conventional building materials
- Steel does not warp, bow or twist due to shrinkage, ensuring no long term movement problems with the framing and trusses
- Unlike timber, steel does not creep and long term deflection is minimal
- Consistent quality and dimensions ensures ease of use and long life
- Wide availability, so the preferred design can be built virtually anywhere in the world
- Low maintenance requirements, requiring low cost and effort to keep its design qualities intact
- Trade familiarity, so there is always ready access to the skills to modify or extend the building
- Reliability, therefore no need to replace steel building products because of technical improvements, changes in fashion or new research requirements
- Design freedom, to easily create optimum architectural forms to suit client needs and local building conditions.
You do not need heavy lifting equipment and cranes
- Difficult sites or unusual designs are especially amenable to our commercial grade galvanized structural steel solutions
- Prefabricated frames are easy and quick to assemble and on-site wastage is almost eliminated. Frames fit together with logic and simplicity and being dimensionally stable once erected they will not move or warp
- Prefabricated steel frames are straight and true which makes it easier and faster to achieve a high level of internal finish on the walls, the floors, the ceiling. This saves time and money, and some trades actually prefer to work on steel frames because they do not have to pack out, or plane off and compensate for warps, twists and knots
- Our light gauge steel frames are pre-punched for quick and easy installation of plumbing and electrical services
- Our commercial grade galvanized structural steel is easy to handle and move on-site, you do not need cranes and other heavy equipment.
Commercial grade galvanized structural light gauge steel framing packages for the building industry
- Faster & easier to install: Perfectly straight walls & ceilings no warping, buckling, moisture, swelling or movement, no delays waiting for frames to dry. Every piece comes labelled and cut to length reducing work & waste on site, with pre-punched holes for pipes & wiring reducing the work of other trades
- Trouble-free: It’s an end to end process from design to construction, while still offering design flexibility. Steel frames are durable and do not distort, so there are fewer callbacks
- There is almost no set-up cost to start steel framing as you will already have most of the tools
- Cost competitive: Steel is the building material of the future. Our commercial grade galvanized structural steel framing prices are competitive with conventional timber framing, allowing you to enjoy the additional onsite advantages of faster, smarter construction
- 50-year Durability Statement Warranty.
Call 09 889 8000 or text us today for more information and pricing on 0292 88 8020 – you can also complete our contact form here.
Follow us, we’ll follow you 🙂